Himalayan salt lamps produce negative ions, and thereby neutralize pollutants in the air. They also reduce the effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) on our bodies. However, it is important to purchase the right lamps and use them properly in order to harness their healing benefits! Here are some tips on selecting and using your salt lamp:
- Choose a high quality salt lamp. We recommend and sell SoWell lamps at the Well because the salt in these lamps is authentic and ecologically mined by hand by fair-trade artisans.
- Choose the appropriate size for your space. The more negative ions in your environment, the more benefits you will receive. It is recommended to use 1-2 lamps per room, but the more the better! If you have a small lamp, set it nearer to where you will spend time so that you reap benefits from it. Larger lamps can be set farther away and impact a greater distance.
- Choose the right bulb. Contrary to what many think, you do not need a special bulb in your salt lamp. The important thing is to ensure that the bulb you use is heating your lamp (see the info below about keeping your lamp on). If your lamp does not get warm with use, try a larger bulb. Our lamps come with a 15 watt bulb, but you can use up to 40 watts for larger lamps. You can use ordinary candelabra, refrigerator, or night light bulbs; simply find the one that fits best in your lamp and heats it to a warm, but not too hot, temperature. Do NOT use LED bulbs, as these do not generate heat.
- Keep your lamp on as often as possible. Salt lamps absorb moisture from the air. It is important to keep them running as often as possible (we recommend 24/7) so that the heat from the bulb keeps the lamp warm. This allows your salt lamp to release negative ions. An unlit lamp may begin to “sweat” or “cry” by leaking salt. To avoid this, and to ensure your lamp is neutralizing pollutants, keep it warm to the touch. If your lamp is not getting warm, you will need to keep it on for longer periods of time or increase the wattage of your bulb.
- Know how to use a USB salt lamp properly. If you are using a USB salt lamp to introduce negative ions into your space, you will be disappointed with the results! The reason is because USB salt lamps have tiny LED bulbs, and these do not create heat. As a result, these lamps are not effective for purifying air; rather they are intended to balance EMFs from your computer or other USB-connected device.